Lugang Cafe at Connecticut Street A Taste of Taiwan,Shanghai and Beijing Dishes

My cousin invited us to join them for dinner at Lugang Cafe.  When we arrived, the place looked familiar.  I recalled that I have seen it being reviewed by blogs.  We entered its grand wooden doors and asked the reception for a table for 12.  We had were asked to sit at the waiting area with two more groups.

Doors to Lugang Cafe
Reception
While waiting, I glanced over the place and observed its modernistic and elegant interiors.  We borrowed the menu and discussed which food to order.  My uncle who frequent the place told us his recommendations.  At around 15 minutes, we were lead to our table.
Lugang Cafe Menu
My cousin ordered the dishes based on my uncle's recommendation.  I didn't order anything else except for my favorite Hot and Sour Soup (180 php).   I've been craving for it for a long time since Kurt stopped cooking one for me.=(
Steam Pork Xiao Long Bao (6 pcs.)
It didn't take long before the dishes started to arrive.  The Steam Pork Xiao Long Bao (6 pcs.) (158 php) was the first to arrive.  We immediately ate the Steam Pork Xiao Long Bao as soon as it was served.  It was still hot and the soup was tasty.  But the it was not the best, I still prefer the Xiao Long Bao from Taiwan.
Golden Fried Rice with Shredded Pork
Golden Fried Rice with Shredded Pork (220 php) was ordinary.  It was the worst dish for that evening and we probably won't order that again.
Hainan Boneless Chicken
I loved the Hainan Boneless Chicken (450 php).  It was soft, tender,fragrant and flavorful.  It was one of the best I've tasted.
Hot and Sour Soup
Their Hot and Sour Soup (180 php) was more sour than spicy.  The taste of black vinegar was dominant.  I did not like it because I prefer it Hot and not just sour.  On the other hand, Kurt expressed his satisfaction with it by saying it was the way he loved it.
Shitake Mushroom Chicken Broth
The Shitake Mushroom Chicken Broth (160 php) was okay.  The Shitake Mushroom was preserved. There was some herbal taste to it. 
Roasted Duck (1/2)
The Roasted Duck (1/2) (800 php) was delicious.  The skin was still crispy.  The meat was tender.  The sauce was sufficient to contrast the oiliness. 
Pork and String Beans with Olive Vegetables
Mixed Mushroom with X.O. Sauce

For vegetables, we had Pork and String Beans with Olive Vegetables (220 php) and Mixed Mushroom with X.O. Sauce (280 php).  I loved the way the string beans were cooked.  It was very crunchy and fun to eat.  
Soy Sauce Braised Pork Knuckles
The Soy Sauce Braised Pork Knuckles (380 php) were served in a hot pot.  It was delicious but it was not the best one I've tried.  It was not the soft and tender that melts in your mouth that I was expecting.

Three-Cup Chicken
The Three-Cup Chicken (290 php) was delicious but not something I'd crave for.  The name implies that it has 3 cups of: chinese wine, sesame oil and soy sauce.  Aside from that there were bits of ginger and  garlic and basil leaves.
Pineapple with Shrimp Stuffed Crullers
The Pineapple with Shrimp stuffed Crullers (280 php) were large chunks of pineapple with breaded crumbs with stuff shrimp covered into mayonaise like a salad.  The shrimp were similar to the texture of shrimp balls.  I did not like this.  It had a weird after taste which I could not pinpoint why.
Iced Milk Tea with Coffee Jelly
Jealous of my cousins taking a sip of their Tapioca Pearl Milk Tea (130 php) and Cantonese Ice Milk Tea (120 php), I decided to order Iced Milk Tea with Coffee Jelly (150 php).  Unlike the Cantones Ice Milk Tea which had a strong tea taste, the Iced Milk Tea with Coffee Jelly had some coffee flavor that blended with the milk tea taste.  The two flavors seem to be balanced.  Neither tea nor coffee was dominant.   I liked it because I enjoy both coffee and tea.  
Mango Coconut Shaved Ice
Even when we were still eating the main course, my cousin and I had already set our eyes on the Strawberry Shaved Ice with Condense Milk.  So when it was time for desert, it was what we ordered but to our dismay they ran out of it.  Worse, we saw the waiter serving it to the other table. =(  We ordered the Mango Coconut Shaved Ice (190 php) instead.  It was delicious!  The Mango and Coconut complemented each other.  The mango was a bit tangy while the coconut was light, milky and refreshing.   But if I were to choose, which one is better, I'd definitely say the coconut. 

Overall, the meal was good.  Everyone enjoyed the dinner.  Although the dishes were a hit or miss, I'd still love to come back and try out the other dishes especially the desserts.  The price for the dishes was a bit above standard but it was reasonable given that it was a franchise from Bellagio, the ambiance of the place and the service.  The drinks were nothing special but the desserts were worth trying.  Note: They have a free valet parking so no need to park further and pay for parking like we did.

*Pardon me for the lousy photos taken only via mobile phone

Lugang Cafe - Bellagio in Manila
115 Connecticut St., Northeast Greenhills,
San Juan, Metro Manila
(02) 775-7599